Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Days 69-74

So I left off last time (Last thursday, to be exact) saying that I was going to an English tea room. Well, I did, and it was so fabulously English! Betty's is in a quaint town of Harrogate, with some groovy shopping. Their main "site to see" is Betty's Tea Room, a classy three-story restaurant with floral print and classy English patrons everywhere. They even came around with a delicious cake trolley, chock-full of different types of cakes, tarts, and other yummy sweets. I opted for the Yorkshire rarebit with bacon, which is essentially bread under a layer of baked cheese and Worcestershire sauce, paired with chutney. I went for the caramelized onion and tomato chutneys, but they had a ton of others. Those Brits love their chutney!
Camilla and I outside of the tea room
Rarebit (partially eaten already, was too impatient to wait to take a pic!) with (clockwise): bacon, a bit of caramelized onion chutney, tomato chutney. NOM
cake trolley. Wish they had one at school.
the outside of the tea room.

After some wandering around Harrogate, we went back to good ol' Leeds. Camilla and I saw The Social Network, the movie about the creation of Facebook, that night. It was actually a well-done movie, and it was cool to see how Facebook, something that basically everyone that I know, and probably everyone who reads this, knows about or obsesses about constantly. Nice way to end Thursday.

On Friday Camilla gave me a tour of Leeds, where we went to the Corn Exchange, which has a cool restaurant and some shops inside, and we also went to the shopping area and walked around for awhile. I also tried roasted chesnuts for the first time. A great chilly day treat!



Camilla also took me to this trendy sushi place on top of a cool Leeds department store called Yo! Sushi (yes, the ! is included in the actual title of the restaurant). It was a rotating sushi bar with bright colors and all you can drink green tea.


The destruction we did on the sushi plates. So tasty.

That night we all went out to one of the University bars on campus to an event called "Fruity", which is a weekly tradition for Leeds students. They turn their Uni (short for university, fyi) terrace/restaurant into a bar/club for the night. Everyone was dressed in costumes which was a pleasant surprise to see, since none of the Dutch know what the heck Halloween is.

I flew back to the Netherlands on Saturday after a fantastic stay with Camilla and her lovely posh British roommates. I made it back just in time for more Halloween festivities with my CIEE crew. We gallivanted around the Dam, went to Paradiso for some boogying, etc etc.

Now, I am back to school work and the school routine. It was nice to have a mini break from classes and school! Also, I only have 1 and a half months left here. THAT'S IT. It is already November. I have finals in the beginning of December. I can't even fathom leaving this place. I feel as if I have just gotten into a good routine, and I will be so disoriented when I have to be removed from my Dutch bubble and when I plop right back into the American lifestyle. I'm not sure how I'll react to it.

I had classes all day today, and so now I am VRIJ (FREE) for the weekend- huzzah!
Tomorrow my good friend Caroline Riina and her friend will be staying with me in AMSTERDAM for the weekend. I am so excited to see her since it feels like I haven't seen her beautiful face in years (that could even be true, it's been so long since I've seen her!). Will blog more about it later!

Much love to all back in the States.

funny Dutch words:
air mattress=luchtbed (literally: air bed)

Dooi!!


1 comment: