Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Days 100-101: let it sneeuw!

Greetings from the white city of Amsterdam! Why is it white, do you ask? Well, maybe it's because we got about two inches of snow yesterday!! It was an absolutely stellar day in the snow. Right after I got out of class at noon it started to flurry. Then it kept snowing until around midnight. TWELVE hours of luscious snow! It automatically got me in the mood for Christmas. The minute there's snow, my mind first goes to Christmas. My day yesterday was sadly unproductive due to being overexcited, enthusiastic, and rambunctious about the snow. I just running around my room and my friend's room screaming "IT'S SNOWING!!!!! IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!! I LOVE SNOW AND CHRISTMAS!!!" I feel bad for everyone who had to listen to me frolick about and act like a nincompoop.
Even though there was a bit of snow over the weekend, it was a. only flurries, b. didn't stick through the night, aside from a few crystals, c. I didn't get to see it. Therefore I refuse to acknowledge any of those as the first "real" snow. Instead, I am going to just say that yesterday was the first real day of snow.
my snow-covered courtyard, view from my window
besneeuwde fiets=snowy bike

The day was jam-packed with relaxation, Christmas tunes, enjoying each other's company, and enjoying the beautiful snowfall. That night I also took a glorious walk over to Plantage in the snow. I joined some lovely dwellers there for stoopwafel s'mores, hot chocolate, brownies, and Love Actually. It was a glorious holiday celebration.
Unfortunately these photos don't give justice to just how stunningly quiet and beautiful the snow and night were.

Yesterday was another monumental day: It was my 100th day in Amsterdam. SO weird, right?? I've been here for one hundred days already. So freaky! As of today also, I only have 17 more days here- less than three weeks before I leave the city and return back to the United States. It's so strange to think that I've been here for a pretty long time. While it sometimes feels like I've been here for ages, it also feels like I just got started here, and that I have so much more to accomplish in the Netherlands. So many things left to do, so little time!

Since the snow was the most exciting thing that's happened, and it truly made me grin from ear to ear for about twenty-four hours straight (I just had a presentation for my Islamic Law class and was rambling and being awkward in my usual terrible-at-public-speaking-way, but I'm still happy as a clam), I don't really have anything else as riveting happening today, aside from frolicking through the sneeuw (NOTE: I have been spelling that word wrong: this is the correct way) on my way to Crea Café to do miscellaneous work. yippee.

FUN FACT: it is quite dangerous to fietsen (bike) in the snow. I've already talked to friends whose bikes have skidded out, resulting in a not-so-glamorous face plant.

FUN FACT: Even the Dutch fall off their bikes in the snow!

Okey dokey then, I'm off to do work today- tot ziens!

1 comment:

  1. SO JEALOUS OF YOUR SNOW!!!! I keep sneakily listening to Christmas music in my room when no one else is home...it's harder to get in the Christmas spirit without snow, but I'm doing my best. :))

    ReplyDelete