Thursday, October 28, 2010

Days 63- 68

So, since I left off with the Anne Frank House on Friday, I never even mentioned what I did for the rest of the weekend. On Saturday night I went with a big bunch of kids to Panama, one of the many nightclubs in the city. This past weekend was the Amsterdam Dance Event, where there were so many DJ's playing at tons of different groovy locations in the Dam. We were supposed to see Kaskade (who didn't show up, epic fail.) But the other amazing and hip Djs were Martin Solveig, Bassjackers, La Faille, Sidney Samson, and Dada LiFe. So much good music, so many great people to be with. I also have developed a new love for techno/electronic music. Just sayin'.

Sunday through Tuesday were basically uneventful, just doing work and other mundane things. I did go to the Dappermarkt again to pick up some yummy food. I also went to the carnival in Dam square on Monday night. All of Dam Square was taken over by a massive ferris wheel and other cool but super-fast and spinny rides. So I opted not to go on those.

*FUN FACT: while rides usually last for no more than five minutes (typically) in America, a normal fast spinning upside-down crazy ride can last for over seven minutes. Too much time being spun around for me- noooo thank you.

I also got to hang out in Plantage Muidergracht (one of the other dorm buildings) where they have their own tv WITH CABLE!! Usually I'm not a huge TV afficionado, nor am I completely obsessed with it. But, it was sort of relaxing to just flip through the channels (most of them were in Dutch), and to just hang out. The simple things in life.

But, this is where things get ultra-hip: Right now, as I am writing this to you, I am in Leeds, England with the fantastic Camilla Rix and her posh friends in her house. I arrived into the quaint Leeds Airport Wednesay morning, after a long and amusing flight next to Richard from Leeds. Richard from Leeds appeared to be about mid/late forties, British (obviously) and flying home from Bucharest, Romania (layover in Amsterdam) where he will be working in a few months. We chatted about the maps in the back of the SkyMall magazine, us swapping stories about our travels, asking about where we would travel if we had a million dollars, etc etc. It was only an hour plane ride, but it still reinforced my thought that all people are just wonderful. I love people, meeting, seeing, talking, watching, and laughing with them. When we all left the plane, we shook hands and we parted ways. I wanted to say 'Tot ziens' to him, which means 'until me meet again.'
So I landed in Leeds and was picked up by Camilla and her friend. I also was given a glorious tour of the University of Leeds campus (she lives about five minutes from it.) Their Uni (as the Brits call it) was beautiful, and had such a college-campus feel, unlike at Universiteit van Amsterdam. We then relaxed and meandered, while I also got to meet a lot of her cool friends, who have all been so friendly to me. After siestas and showers, a big group of people went out to dinner for another one of their friend's birthdays, where they had delicious fajitas and yummy Brazilian mojito-type drinks. Such a delcious meal with uber posh Brits. After we went to one of the on-campus clubs, where there were a bunch of other students just going out for their Wednesday night. Even though all of the kids kept saying how lame and not- crowded it was, I still thought it was pretty packed! Maybe that's just because I'm used to Oxy events, where no one attends... but it was a lovely night overall.

Right now I am sitting at Camilla's desk while she is doing a work seminar-thing in Harrogate. In a little bit I will be joining Camilla with her friends Nicky and Holly, maybe more, in Harrogate, where apparently it is more of the English rural countryside. We also get to go to Betty's Tea Room, where they serve traditional finger sandwiches and little cups of tea- so dainty, so English.

Well, I must be off, so I will keep you updated on the rest of my English adventure.

Cheerio!

FUN FACT: quid is the English slang for 'bucks', ie. twenty quid=twenty pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment