Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Days 8-10

Greetings from the Land of Amstel!
(I'm not sure that is a legitimate nickname for A-Dam, but it works)

These last three days have been a bit of a blur. The weather has improved tremendously this week which has been so delightful. It has been rainy, windy and chilly here for the majority of the time. But this week it has been sunny, only cloudy and drizzling for a bit, and over 65 degrees!
On Monday we just had normal orientation stuff and then had a bike tour with our CIEE ladies around the city. I also had my Dutch language placement test which was SO difficult! We all had to read a huge story in Dutch (very complicated Dutch in fact) and then attempt to answer questions about it, along with writing a full page detailing about a vacation....or something like that, I couldn't even understand the prompt! But, after I took my test and talked with one of the Dutch test evaluator people (In Dutch, mind you) and I could understand a good majority of what he was saying. I eventually was placed into the Beginner level. Absolute Beginner is the most rudimentary level, then Beginner is after that, then Pre-intermediate, etc etc, until Advanced. So I am happy with the level I placed into. I will get to improve my Dutch but I won't be completely overwhelmed with the course work! Another girl who took the placement test with me, Danielle, and I then rushed over to enjoy yummy Indonesian food down the street with our CIEE group. Even better: I didn't get lost ONCE this day! It felt good to somewhat know where I was in the city. Overall= a successful Monday.

On Tuesday, i.e. yesterday, we got to meet one of our professors, Bonny Wassing. He is a delightful Dutch man who will teach the Dutch Social Policy class that I am taking. He seems like a pretty cool teacher. Our CIEE ladies also talked with us all about the differences between American and Dutch classes and the learning environment. It honestly scared me and is making me anxious for classes to start! I just hope I don't fail any classes. They only have maybe one or two assignments that consist of the ENTIRE grade for the ENTIRE semester!! My anxiety lessened after a few of us took a walk around the canals and sat in the grass in the sun, looking at the baby swans and the beautiful city. We also visited a quaint brewery right near an old windmill. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable place to sit and drink a yummy Dutch brew.
My roommate Liza and I finally cooked for the first time in our kitchen! We made pasta and salad. It was our first roomie-bonding time, and I think we are going to get along quite well this semester.


Today, Wednesday, Annabel (very tall Dutch lady, total sweetheart though) took us on a mini bike tour of our neighborhood, Prins Hendrikkade to show us different grocery stores and markets. Our entire group then took a ferry up to the Northern side of Amsterdam to lunch in a greenhouse-turned- restaurant. We then explored this theater/music/art warehouse, where tons of different Dutch artists come to work and other music festivals and concerts are held at this unusual location.

Every day I am reminded again and again how lucky I am to be in this magnificent city for an entire semester. Each day that passes in Amsterdam reminds me that I made the right choice by coming here. I could've chosen to go anywhere else in the world, but I chose this city. I honestly wasn't sure if I made the right choice before arriving, but now I know that this is the place for me.
One of the girls, Oritt, and I were discussing the different lifestyle here. For example, people of all ages, races, and social classes travel by bicycle. Old people, young people, rich people, poor people, you name it! Life moves a bit slower here- everyone is more relaxed, not rushing to get to the office, spending more time with their families, and just enjoying life. It is a nice change of pace compared to the fast life on the East coast or in Los Angeles.


On a separate note, here are some FUN FACTS about Amsterdam:

-Number of bicycles in Amsterdam: 550,000
-Number of cars in Amsterdam: 215,600
-50% of Amsterdam residents about the age of 12 ride their bikes daily
-cyclists are involved in 1/3 of all the Amsterdam traffic accidents
(taken from Cycling Safely brochure)


Tot ziens! (see ya!)

1 comment:

  1. OHHHHH my god I freaking love reading about your experience!!
    And you look so fancy, cooking a yummy pasta dinner and drinking red vino. I miss drinking vino with you. Remember getting drunk in your bed and watching Titanic?
    Also, went to sicha. no joke, "ohhh Megan's friend, where is Megan?" I was like ohh she's not here, she will be abroad for the semester. She looked soooo sad and confused. But she said to say hello, so I am passing along the message.
    I'm so happy you made the right choice Megan. Whenever I am feeling overwhelmed with my study abroad app, I read your blog and look forward to an adventure.
    Missing you TONS!!!!!
    xoxoxoxo Inca

    ReplyDelete