Saturday, September 4, 2010

Days 12 - 13

This is my last weekend without any schoolwork, the kickoff to my academic semester starting at the University of Amsterdam. Friday was a lazy day, consisting of lunch at the next-door café and relaxing at the nearby brouwerij (brewery). I then was invited for dinner and drinks at the flat of a few Brits, Paris + Jessie, along with other kids I met on thursday, Frankie from Aussie, Clemont from France, etc etc. It was a relaxing evening in a quaint flat by Amstel station, followed by dancing at a local bar/club place. It wasn't quiet enough to be a bar, yet less chaotic than a club. I.e a perfect location for me. They played 70's disco music and everyone, young and old, was bustin' a move on the dance floor. One Dutch man was probably around 75 years old and just jammin', doing intricate footwork that 20-year-old break dancers could envy. I aspire to groove just like him when I am older. It was a fun yet non-stressful evening out in Amsterdam.
Our super duper groovy new best friend.

Today I literally slept until two, grabbed a koffie verkeerd (café latte) and read outside, then wandered through the fleamarket stands in Waterlooplein. They had many beautiful antiques, along with rasta gear, miscellaneous clothing, bike equipment, etc etc. There were also so many dogs that I wanted to pet! But, I didn't want to be that creepy American who was chasing dogs, so I restrained myself. Sad day. I have been wondering how difficult it would be to bring a dog home from Amsterdam to the United States- if I hypothetically got one here. Thoughts?
We also have this cat who lives in Prins Hendrikkade whose name I do not know. I've been told his/her name changes every year, depending on what the new residents decide to call him. However, he reminds me of a hybrid between Grey Kitty (otherwise known at Satan) and Black Kitty back in Baltimore. He is black like Black Kitty, but feisty/terrifying/kind of cute like Satan. He is the kind of cat that will only pay attention to you if you have snacks. I just have love for this stupid cat, so sadly it does not pay attention to me. Oh well.

funny words of the day:

pinda= peanut
kaas= cheese
pindakaas=peanut butter, literally: peanut cheese.

On that lovely note, I am off to make din din with the roomie and then perhaps hit the town! Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Megs! I am SO happy to hear you're doing well. I have never been to Amsterdam, but from what you've written, I completely agree that it is the perfect city for you. You keep on practicing your Dutch and don't let the stupid, snarky girl get in your way. You are so brave! :)) Wish you were here!!...actually I wish I was there with you more. The next piece of mail you get will be me in a box...hopefully ;))
    LOVE YOUUUUUUU
    xx
    Sienna

    ReplyDelete